Sunday, February 2, 2020

My favorite city

My favorite city that we traveled to on this trip was Salzburg. The purpose of our time there was to attend concerts of Mozart week, but I found a lot more to do. We spent five days there, which I really think was not enough given the wealth of experiences to be had in throughout the city and its surrounding areas. 

What I think distinguished Salzburg from the rest of the places we have been is the presence of the Alpine mountain range. I particularly resonated with this aesthetic, which is likely do to my upbringing just outside of cascade mountain range. A group of us students tried to ride the gondola up to the highest viable peak, but we were thwarted by bad weather. Windy conditions inhibited the gondola from making a safe trip. Regardless, I believe that the observation of the mountains was one of my highlights in the city.

Learning about the architecture and history of city was another highlight. Facts such has how the city was basically an independent nation until 1800, how a lot of the architecture is inspired by that of Italian architecture, and how Mozart spent the first seventeen years of his life here were all incredibly fascinating.

I also purchased a Terolian jacket here in Salzburg. The style of this jacket is native to that of the mountainous western region of Austria, which is called the Terolian region. It is a very unique piece to add to my wardrobe. 

Another highlight was of course the music, which I have gone into more detail with in another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment