Saturday, February 1, 2020

Operatic Impressions

The stage before Otello began


There are few times where I have been speechless after a musical performance. Once was when I went to see the London Symphony Orchestra when they toured to Seattle. Another time was after the University of British Columbia performed at the CBDNA conference we attended two years ago. Never before have I been left speechless more than once, yet this trip has proven me wrong. First with the Berlin Philharmonic, then with the fantastic performers of the Les Vents Francais and Kodaly String Quartet, and during last night’s phenomenal performance of Otello at the Vienna State Opera House.

Me and Sarah at the Vienna State Opera House
My first time seeing an opera was on this trip and it was not much different than I expected it to be, based on what I have been told before. There were big extravagant dresses, drama, fantastic singing and playing, and basically everything you would expect an opera to be. Then, we saw Le Nozze di Figaro, and it was entirely different. It was funny and simplistically designed, with next to no costume changes, and an orchestra on stage instead of in a pit. It was very unique and delightful to watch. The final opera was Otello and I still get chills thinking about the opening scene, when the curtain dropped to the floor and the stage transported you to a ship at sea. Several following scenes had a flowing river in the background, and the music was beyond words. There were four trombones, four horns, and 6 trumpets, two of which were off stage. Needless to say, when the brass were told to play loud, they played loud. The singing was also amazing. Desdemona's voice was beautiful, and Otello's was powerful. I think my favorite was Iago, mainly because he put so much emotion into his voice. Not only was he singing, he was telling a story, and he made you put yourself into his shoes, which is not easily pulled off. 
Part of the trombone section from last night's performance. On the end is a cimbasso, which was very loud and awesome.
I never thought I would be as immersed in opera as I was during Otello. Some moments made me jump while others made me tear up. There was something about the entire production that made you think you were in another place. One of my favorite moments from the performance actually had nothing to do with anyone on stage. The orchestra had just finished playing a sweeping melody when the basses struck a low note in unison. Almost everyone in the surrounding area became unsettled and restless, moving forward in their seats out of anticipation. That was one of the most powerful moments of this trip to me, seeing how music has that big of an impact on everyone across cultures. When musicians are able to play a single note and have everyone react in nearly the same way, it’s something that I won’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment