Saturday, February 1, 2020

Returning to Vienna




The Brahms Statue
A cute little library I found while walking. 
Going back to Vienna at the end of the trip was kind of like returning to a home away from home. We even got the same room at the hostel that we stayed in on the first part of this trip. Getting around on public transportation was easier, and altogether a fun experience, being able to say that you know where you’re going in a foreign country that suddenly seems a little less strange. Being more comfortable in Vienna also made it less daunting to wander around, and for that I’m very grateful. I didn’t realize exactly how much of the city I missed the first time we were here. Even wandering a couple of blocks away from the Hostel, I feel like I saw a lot more of the city this time around. It’s crazy to me how much you can find just walking around, from statues and little libraries to conservatories and concert halls.

My view for the Vienna Symphony. Definitely a change in perspective
This time around, we didn’t have much scheduled in Vienna, so we got a lot of free time. On our last day in the city, I wandered around a bit, mainly looking for souvenirs to bring home. I definitely got a little bit lost and turned around, but it was still fun to walk and see new places that I didn’t see the first time, like the Brahms statue. We went to a vineyard and had an excellent dinner (with a great vegan option) in the same neighborhood where Beethoven once lived. We also were able to see the Vienna Symphony perform in the Musikverein, where we sat so close to the orchestra I could have reached out and touched one of the viola players. That was definitely an interesting experience. I really enjoyed it, primarily because I wasn’t able to see the winds and brass. Normally, during a concert, my eyes will be trained on the wind sections, and I will see when they breathe so I know when they are coming in. However, not being able to see really changed my perspective and added a new emotional dimension to the performance itself. I may or may not have teared up a bit towards the end.

One of the last things I did prior to seeing Otello was souvenir shopping, and that was pretty chaotic. Lots of people trying to get around in very small spaces, and most of the shops were on the same street. I got everything I needed though, and then I got to see Otello so I have no complaints. I don’t think I fully appreciated Vienna the first time we were here. It was new, I was very tired and jet lagged, and it was a hard adjustment to make after travelling for as long as we did. I am very happy that we got to come back to Vienna, even more so that we got to visit the Vienna State Opera House once again. Saying goodbye to Vienna is bittersweet. I know that in a couple of weeks I will miss it like crazy, but right now I’m ready to go back home. Goodbye Vienna, thank you for everything.


The Vineyard /restaurant in Beethoven's Neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment