Thursday, February 6, 2020

The Beginning of Something Bigger


My experience over these past 30 days has been unmeasurable and will always remain in my repertoire of stories for when I am 80 and sitting on a rocking chair talking to my grandchildren.  Memories related to our walking tours in each city and the ex-special Czech forces storyteller. Walking around each city is breath taking and I have to keep reminding myself that I was only taking in around 10 percent of the cities delicacies.  Even with all of the walking around street corners and up/down hills, my journeys are far from over after this trip. This month has inspired me to keep up with my foreign languages and even learn some new ones so I can hold conversations with people and if ever the chance again to meet with the musicians and talk about their experiences and their musical practices.  

This trip was also a month of new experience for myself.  Not only did I visit new places but I tried new things. I kept a list of new things that I ate and did on the trip and took pictures of every meal so I had proof that I ordered and ate something new for the day.  I will hopefully take this new found courage to try new things and implement it into my life.  

My learning styles also helped me through this trip and relating more information about subjects I had already studied.  I was able to see the places and walk around the history of each city. When touring a museum. I was able to place physical items with the descriptions and pictures associated.  My learning styles are mainly kinetic and visual. Places like the Mozart's or Beethoven's house were especially educational because I could see the composers walking through the halls and having conversations with people and composing new  repertoire. One place that was very impactful with this combination of styles was Terezin. I am still thinking about the locations and the stories that are present in those walls.  

This experience will also influence my future teaching strategies.  I am now able to show students a more in-depth and differentiated instruction about music history.  This hopefully allows me to engage the students more on these topics and hopefully start conversations.  I also want to incorporate a higher caliber of musicianship for my students. They should see musicians and people that inspire them to work towards goals.  

Each city held new gems of information and a chance for exploration.  During this trip I also tried to view a lense of an artist in each city.  While we attended concerts and expanded our musical knowledge, I also researched and drew in the style of specific artists.  Some of the drawings I did not post on the blog, but the experience was different than anything else on the trip. I normally draw and paint indoors.  While completing these drawings, I either sat outside or at a cafe. By changing my locations, experiencing the creation of art seemed freeing. I was not contained within a space, and I was allowed to explore and walk through a process at my own pace.  

As this trip and the experience comes to a close, I want to thank Dr. Powell for organizing this trip.  He is able to experience these cities/ performances to the same degree as his students were, but he adds an extra responsibility of managing and housekeeping duties that are contained in his position. 




No comments:

Post a Comment