Monday, January 20, 2020

Catching up...

It has been a few days since my last post (I was not feeling particularly well during our stay in Leipzig, and avoided both work and screen time as much as I could), and I think it's time I catch y'all up on what did happen in the city of Leipzig.

Of all the cities we have been to, Leipzig was by far the cutest. It was effectively only a few blocks in any direction from the hostel, and there was plenty to eat within 5 minutes of the hostel (I didn't walk too much, as I didn't feel well). Of the scheduled programs, we went to a few really cool museums, and learned a lot about Mendelssohn and Bach. Mendelssohn's house had really old creaky stairs which were super scary and made me very uncomfortable, due to how much the stairs protested my weight.

The performances were absolutely amazing. We went to this Irish dance show in the Gewandhaus, an extremely posh music hall which looked kind of like a space parliament building, and was populated mostly by posh looking German folk. The show was basically a rock concert with some politically dissident messaging on a screen in the background, all in the guise of the process of making whiskey (I loved every second of it). The day after we saw 2 concerts, a boys choir singing Bach music in Bach's old church, which was pretty cool, and a college conservatory playing Beethoven and Stravinsky. I know that I have heard much of Beethoven's music in the past, but something about that concert really struck me. They played a mass with a huge choir and I just loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment