Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Sound of Salzburg

Inside the Mozarteum
We were fortunate enough to be in Salzburg during Mozart Week, which is a huge celebration centered around Mozart’s birthday. We saw so many concerts, including one where the performers played on period instruments, so we got an idea of what the pieces would have sounded like to Mozart. We also saw a chamber concert featuring some of the best musicians in the world. To say that their playing was astounding would be an understatement. It was one of the most incredible performances that I have ever seen, and the oboist in particular played so well it was almost inhuman. 


Our view for Le Nozze di Figaro

One of the highlights of Salzburg is probably when we went to see Le Nozze di Figaro in the same theater where the Von Trapp family sings Edelweiss prior to fleeing Austria. When I first walked into the theater it was almost surreal, I couldn’t believe that I was there. Sarah and I got to our assigned seats with the rest of the class when we were approached by a couple who asked if we would mind switching seats because they needed to leave early, and our seats were the closest ones to the exit. We agreed and sat in the front row in the middle of the theatre where we were able to watch the performance with an incredible view. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience, as the cast of Le Nozze di Figaro performed every single note of the opera, including all of the Arias, which is very uncommon among performances, as it makes the opera nearly 4 hours long.

Over the past few days, we have seen and done so much it seems like all of the days blurred together. However, I can confidently say that Salzburg was my favorite city of the trip. I have been watching The Sound of Music for pretty much my entire life, and I cannot express how much being in the city where it was filmed meant to me. I didn’t realize what an impact being in the heart of one of my favorite movies would have on me, but I was nearly in tears more than a couple of times while we were there. Seeing the streets and knowing that I am walking where Julie Andrews once stood is so incredible. We crossed the bridge where the cast rode their bikes during “Do-Re-Mi,” walked in the Mirabelle Garden which you can see in several shots in the film, and walked through the square where Maria splashes the fountain during “I Have Confidence.”

(Pictures from Left to Right: Me standing on the bridge where the cast rode their bikes, The steps that the Von Trapp children jumped on during Do-Re-Mi, The fountain from I Have Confidence, and me standing at the entrance to the Abbey) 

After we toured the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Sarah and I practically ran back down the mountain so we could get to the Abbey where they filmed part of The Sound of Music. We got to the entrance and walked in the courtyard, and it was like I was transported into the film. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to see much of the Abbey, but even seeing the entrance was such an amazing experience. I will definitely be coming back to Salzburg in the future. Goodbye Salzburg, see you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment