Friday, January 24, 2020

Goodbye Berlin, Hello Salzburg


The Berlin Philharmonic. Holy shit.* When the performance ended, I walked home with one of my roommates absolutely speechless because of how good the performance was. We sat directly behind the orchestra. I’m pretty sure that the first row could have reached out and touched the percussion equipment, we were that close. The music was incredible, and one of my favorite parts of the entire performance was when our entire group got super excited any time one specific percussionist moved. This performer in particular was in charge of the Mahler Hammer. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s a comically large wooden hammer, and it was used exactly two times during the 90-minute performance. This percussionist also played the cymbals, and when he would reach down to pick up the cymbals, we all leaned forward in anticipation hoping he would be picking up the Mahler hammer instead. 
Our view for the Berlin Philharmonic Concert
Beyond that, the conductor was amazing to watch. He was very expressive, and there were a couple of moments when his cues were playful and made a couple of us laugh a little bit. It was a unique experience because normally, sitting behind a conductor means that you are playing in the ensemble, not listening to one perform. On top of that, we sat behind the French Horns, and they were so good. The first horn was on another level of musicianship that I had no idea was possible. The brass players were all incredible, from trumpet to tuba, and I can’t honestly say what part I liked more. There was one part in the piece where a pitch was passed around the high strings, oboe, and piccolo, and they were all in tune, which is to be expected from a professional ensemble but still incredible to listen to. Everything was perfect and unlike anything I have ever heard before, including the other performances from this trip.
View for André Chenier

Speaking of other performances, I saw my first opera in Berlin! In all honesty, it was not my favorite performance of the trip. The music was beautiful, and the singers were amazing, but it was really hard for me to pay attention to what was happening on stage while trying to figure out what they were singing in the captions that were high above the stage. Jumping back and forth got a little tiring, and I was glad we got a longer break at intermission. For the second half, I closed my eyes for a little bit of it, and while I wasn’t able to understand what they were singing, it allowed me to appreciate their singing more because I was able to focus on one thing instead of trying to focus on everything at once. Also, we saw André Chenier, which was pretty confusing to understand even after reading the synopsis. I had almost no idea how one event led to the next in the first half, but the second half was easier to understand. 

Among all of the performances we have seen so far, including those from other cities, I will say that they have one thing in common. Everyone in the audience claps for about 10 minutes, yet I have not seen a standing ovation from an entire crowd. Some people have stood for every performance, but a majority of the people remain in their seats, even while the clapping has been going on for long enough that the members of the performing ensemble start shaking hands and hugging on stage, politely telling the audience to stop clapping as they would like to go home. We are now off to Salzburg, and I am going to do my best to visit as many of the Sound of Music sights as I can when I have the time. I couldn’t be more excited!


*I would like to point out that I asked Dr. Powell if it was appropriate to cuss in a blog post and he said that my description of last night’s performance was completely accurate, so it was okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment