Monday, January 20, 2020

Sounds of Leipzig


The most memorable sound of Leipzig was the sound of the traditional Irish dancers we saw at the Gawandhaus. I have always been captivated by dance which is probably because I have two left feet. I felt the same way at the two ballets we have seen because the dancers have so much talent that I will never have. While the Irish dance performance was accompanied by Irish music, the dancing itself was music. The dancers were so in sync and a lot of times they would repeat the same dance and thus repeat the music they made with their shoes.
I also really enjoyed the traditional Irish music because it was so different than anything else we have heard on the trip and because it makes you want stand up and dance along. I love how fast paced and lively it is. When the dancers and band were in sync it fit so perfectly as if the dancers were keeping beat like a drum.
I failed to take a picture at either of the performances,
so here is a picture of the Leipzig Old City Hall
We finished our time in Leipzig with Beethoven and Stravinsky at the Leipzig Conservatory. As a non-music person, I never know what to expect with the performances. I think most people have an idea of what they’re about to hear, but I go in more or less blind. I was pleasantly surprised by the Stravinsky piece, but that could also be because Powell told me his music often started riots. As I was listening I loved trying to imagine a riot being started after the performance.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment