Friday, January 17, 2020

Open Markets and Where to Find Them


Having been in 3 cities so far on this trip, I have been able to explore two open air markets. One in Vienna, and one in Leipzig! In this blog post, I will do my best to detail the differences and my preferences.

The Naschmarkt in Vienna was definitely bigger. It took up an almost block-wide island in the middle of the road, and was several blocks long. The Naschmarkt was comprised of permanent buildings with roofs and windows, and most of the shops in the market were there every day of the week. There were a few on the edges that were table additions, and most of those were selling identical things to many tourist shops in the city. However, because there was more structure, it allowed for more permanent restaurants within. Andrew Ringle and I visited one such restaurant that Dr. Powell recommended, and had amazing Schnitzel and homemade lemonade!

The Weekly Market(which happens twice per week, Tuesday and Friday, curiously enough) in Leipzig is much smaller - but much more like home. Fresh produce, fresh meats in fish, meats(fresh cuts, sausages, and more), spices, pastries, and more. I didn’t get anything to eat at the Leipzig market, but so many good smells and drool-inducing sights(thanks for convincing me to keep that sentence in this post Darek).

Overall, both markets have amazing things about them. I prefer the one in Leipzig - It feels more like the downtown Farmer’s market in Puyallup, and it makes me miss home. But there’s so much more to explore here!

No comments:

Post a Comment