Monday, January 6, 2020

The Inexperienced Traveler


I admit that I am a procrastinator. I begin my homework at midnight and turn it in three minutes before the turn in box closes. Applying that same strategy for preparing for a month long trip in Europe probably wasn’t in my best interest. I’m sure there’s a small list of things I’ll find out I forgot to grab but I suppose it’ll add to the experience. It’s weird to think that we’ve been traveling literally all day. More than 10 hours of flying and layovers (which most of us spent just recuperating from the first flight) we’ve finally landed in Vienna, Austria. We’ve settled, we’ve eaten and now many of us are getting ready for a much needed rest before beginning our European adventure.

Flying over London
It seems funny at first; writing a blog post when I haven’t seen anything yet. Having never been to Europe, one would think that I had this whole list of things I wanted to see and do. I really don’t though. I’ve never been the type of traveler that wants to go see all the museums, the oldest buildings or taste the finest foods of the world. While all those things are wonderful and I do look forward to seeing and experiencing those things, I also want to experience the country aside from its tourist stops. I want to know the little things people enjoy about living there each day; the cafes they often frequent, the mom and pop shops around town that make up the community, parks to walk around... As a tourist, I feel silly being in awe and taking pictures of buildings most people just walk past as apart of their every day life but I suppose that’s the beauty of traveling: seeing something new and being captivated by it. 

As a music major at PLU, of course, music is the primary purpose of this trip. As a third year student, who has already gone through music theory classes, history courses and performed some of the very works we’ll be seeing, this trip is my education in music brought to life. It won’t just be a description in a textbook of where Bach performed his cantatas or how Mozart composed his renowned opera The Marriage of Figaro. While I realize I’m not going to see the actual Bach or Mozart perform, experiencing these pieces in European venues brings a completely different and new experience than seeing them in America. Buildings and Cathedrals that have been around for hundreds of years and knowing you’re in the same space that some of the most famous composers performed can be a profound experience for a performer. I’ve always been told we need to know our history to understand our present and move forward to the future. Today, we see concerts of these works as a sort of tribute to the composers and omen to their significant musical contributions throughout history. When they were composed however, they were revolutionary, contemporary and new to the world of music. The elements we use in today’s music developed from much of this music. 
Dessert from our first meal in Vienna

I don’t know what to expect of this trip but I know I’ll leave awestruck. When I return to PLU in February, I will have seen more than my words could ever describe. I’ll have gone out of my comfort zone and tried several new things. Things are going to go wrong throughout and we’ll learn to just roll with it and figure it out. I’ll return more confident and independent as an individual, knowledgeable as a student and experienced as a traveler. And thus begins our 26 day adventure... and what an adventure it will be. 

Till next time, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment