Saturday, January 11, 2020

Lost in Translation


The aquarium had an area
with monkeys and birds
roaming free
I probably should have done more research on where to go in each city. During our free time, I feel as though I’m a little lost on what I maybe should be trying to experience. At the same time, though, there’s a certain beauty in wandering around a city and stumbling upon small treasures. On our last free day in Vienna, Colby, Janelle and I happened to come upon the aquarium. Being the animal lover I am, it was almost a must. While the aquarium is, indeed, someplace I’ve been to many times in the US, there was something more intriguing about seeing the aquarium in Vienna. Maybe it wasn’t the most authentic experience of Vienna but in a way, I think that’s not such a bad thing. Finding familiarity in this foreign environment is comforting; like I’m not as lost in translation as I may be feeling. 

I love instrumental music and listening to it. I’m so used to seeing it in a certain way, though. I’m not sure how to articulate what I’m accustomed to but this performance was far from what I was expecting. The orchestra stood, which isn’t unusual for a small ensemble. The conductor, who also happened to be the soloist, came out in these super cool pants that reminded me of MC Hammer pants and an untucked black shirt. The performance itself was phenomenal. Everyone in the ensemble didn’t just play the notes in front of them but they performed the music. They moved their bodies and whipped their heads around; I mean, you could feel their performance and every last note. The conductor was able to play with such feeling and conduct using his head. People often assume that instrumental music doesn’t have as much dramatization as vocal music; as though the lack of words removes critical context of the entire piece or connection between the music and the audience. This performance really proved the opposite though. The performers played with such vigor and passion, you can’t help but connect with the piece or, at the very least, you can’t not be drawn into the performance. 

View from the Charles Bridge 
However, the most interesting part of attending performances in Europe to me is giving applause. I’m used to clapping while the conductor take a bow, then the ensemble and then continuing to clap until the conductors have left and come back out to take a last bow. Generally you end up clapping for like maybe two minutes, top. Here though, you’re clapping for like seven or eight. When we saw Onegin, the dancers bowed three or four different times and then continued to come out after the curtains had closed for yet another bow. I’ve always known that the arts are extremely important in Europe but this truly established just how much people admire artists. That you’re not just clapping for the performance that was just given but you’re clapping in commendation for their skill level. 


Down the street from our hostel
Yesterday, we travelled to Prague. I really don’t know anything about Prague [like I thought it was a country before this trip] so I can’t say what I was looking forward to or what to expect. Looking up the city, it has such a rich, vibrant and controversial history. Wandering around the city last night and this afternoon, the architecture is so different from Vienna; the buildings are much more stark and gothic looking. I like wandering around Prague more than Vienna. Maybe it’s just in comparison to the part of Vienna I had been wandering around but Prague has a more intimate feel to it. There are little shops crowded together selling everything from jewelry, wood carvings, those little Russian stacking dolls (yeah, like a whole store dedicated to them). In the evenings, I like to look up places I could go the next day and Prague has some really cool and also really weird things you can do. Fun fact, Prague has over 50 museums you can visit including musical instruments, art and torture devices. In one of the parks there's a maze of mirrors and Prague is home to the second ugliest building in the world. Yet, I can only find beautiful things about this city and am looking forward to finding more. We're headed to a Czech folklore dinner tonight, which I have no idea what to expect. I'm holding back on looking it up though, cause as I've found out throughout the majority of this trip so far, discovering things as you go yields some of the wildest adventures. 

Prague, you have my heart and I'm gonna let you keep it while I'm here. -Sarah
Dessert (it was so good) 







Colby, Janelle & I
















P.S. To be honest, I have no idea what day of the week it is. My body is still adjusting to the time change and I'm basing each day off what we're doing. But don't ask me what day of the week it is because I don't know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment