Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Sounds of Music



The only thing I really knew about Austria before coming here was that it was place where my favorite movie, The Sound of Music, was based. I think I read somewhere that you could take a “Sound of Music” tour where you can see the various places they filmed. Like the von Trapp family in that movie, our group is being immersed in music. Some of us may be experiencing it for the first time and others of us are experiencing it in a whole new way than we had previously been exposed to it. Austria is much more modern than I had expected to be and on our first bus ride from the airport, I probably would have believed you if you had told me we were in some remote part of Seattle. 

Walking tour with Herbert
I love colorful buildings
During our walking tour, however, Vienna’s true character was brought to light. The city has palaces and cathedrals that Washington could only wish we could have. The cafes don’t just have coffee and scones but entire lunch and dinner menus. The McDonalds has a whole pastry counter inside. Vienna has such a rustic feel to it and I can see why people find it here to be so authentic and romantic. The intimate cobble stone streets that lead between and around the city center, the immaculate murals on the ceilings of cathedrals and the music, oh the sounds of music, here really remind us that this is a city of art. That the buildings are more than just scenery but they tell a story throughout history. We’ve all heard the phrase “art imitates life” and that’s exactly what Vienna has done. Imitate its changing history to represent time periods, different political rulings and societal atmosphere. 

St. Stephen's Cathedral
The Schönbrunn Palace is probably one of the most beautiful and expensive places I’ll ever visit. I’ve toured New York and Washington DC, seeing places like George Washington’s home that has that old, rustic feel to it and I’ve walked around the Forbidden City in  Beijing  but this palace really doesn’t compare to either place. It was explained to us that the point of having this large of a house was purely for the means of indirectly telling foreign guests that you were insanely rich and to leave you and your country alone. Walking through, I certainly would have if I was a foreign power. Just by looking, you’d never be able to guess that the decorations that lined the doors, ceilings and walls were just wood with gold-leaf. It may not be worth as much but the look itself sells the idea that these people were richer than I’ll ever be. 

Inside the Opera House to see Onegin
I haven’t seen a ballet in a while, let alone this grandiose and to have this be the first official concert we’re attending is quite a treat. Onegin is one of those ballets where it’s pretty evident what’s going on, even if you didn’t know the exact plot line. We, of course, did have that benefit and it’s almost like you can imagine what the characters are saying to each other as they interact and dance. Due to jet lag and the last two days being full of walking, I admit that I was extremely tired during this concert (though I’m proud of myself for never actually drifting off). Still, even in my tired mind, I was enchanted watching the ballet dancers. The time they must have spent not only rehearsing the show but the years and years of training to be a principle dancer. As someone who can’t even touch their own toes, watching someone throw their leg above their head with such ease or dance on the tips of their toes seems kind of scary.

Kunsthistorische Museum
Two days in, one day left in Vienna. And while I’m sad to go, I look forward for to seeing other cities. Maybe I didn't run through the hills like Maria did in The Sound of Music but I’ve finally gotten accustomed to how to use the subway in Vienna and become somewhat ‘“comfortable” in the city. I suppose that’s what’s nice about going to Prague in two days; having the challenge of being this comfortable all over again. Oh well, I guess if it all falls to pieces, at least we end up here again at the end of our trip and I’ll know how to navigate here. 

Best, Sarah 








No comments:

Post a Comment