Saturday, January 25, 2020

Leipzig!!




I really enjoyed Leipzig was awesome. I think it may be my favorite city so far. I love how open the area is and how free and nice everyone seems to be. 

The first night in Leipzig we had free so MacKenzie, Ben, Frank and I went out to dinner and we found this amazing restaurant sold the second-best Shnitzul that I would have eaten while in Leipzig.  I had the traditional Shnitzul that came with fried potatoes, eggs, and a salad.  

The following day we had our tour of Leipzig with Silvio which was fascinating it was great learning about how Leipzig had their own non-violence protect against the Russians when they wherein control of the eastern side of Germany. One thing I did notes was that the people in Leipzig seemed happier after occupancy unlike the atmosphere in Prague.  I don't mean to say that they were happy during the time of occupancy but that afterward they have seemed to be able to move on faster then Prague. 

That same we got to go into the Bach museum which was cool because you got to seem some of Bach's original manuscripts. Also, they had a few original portraits of Bach during his life.  Outside of the Bach museum which is right next to St. Thomas church is a statue of Bach which was also pretty cool to see. 





While touring Leipzig we also got to go to St. Nicholas's Church which is another church where bach worked. St. Nicholas is also the place where the peaceful protest during the cold ward would take place years after Bach. When you walk into St. Nicholas you are just taken back by what you see. When you walk in you see these amazing pink pillars with green palm leaves which represent peace. You also can find an example of one of the pillars outside of the church. Fun fact about St. Nicholas Church is that their organ was purchased and made by Ferrari. Also, the St. Nicholas Church in Leipzig is currently the largest in Saxony. 



The second full day in Leipzig we go to go to the Mendelssohn Museum which was great to go to because I learned a lot about him. I have never really spent time learning about Mendelssohn. I also did not know that he was from Leipzig. While at the museum I got a nice polo and a keychain to bring back with me. After the museum, we had most of the afternoon free so Frank and I went shopping and bought some new shoes and a new watch. After a fun afternoon of shopping, we got to go to the Danceperdos of Ireland which honestly was such an amazing experience I have never seen river dancing. It was also fun to see something that was just not a classical act for the first time on this trip. 


The last full day in Leipzig we go to watch the boys choir in St. Thomas Church perform and it was absolutely fascinating how they do the works they do at such a high level and they are so young. the minimum age is 9 years old.  While in the church we also got to see the place where Bach was baptized and the place where they claim to have the remains of Bach. 





Thank you Leipzig for the wonderful memories cannot wait for us to meet again!!










No comments:

Post a Comment